Pages

Tuesday, August 25, 2009

The first day: A mother's perspective.

November 2003... Found out I was pregnant. I was an emotional wreck. I had a pretty 'easy' pregnancy... hardly ever sick. But my emotions were even more crazy than when I was a teen! Every little ache or pain, I'd call my doctor... it was paranoia at its best. Or maybe its just the first pregnancy. Then there were the cravings...

[Craved McDonalds cheeseburgers. I had 8 for lunch. I was over 200 lbs when I delivered. Seriously, cheeseburgers do that to you... especially when you can eat 20 a day... Thankfully, 80 lbs of cheeseburgers came off during the course of the next year. Then came Amy... Im still working on the three musketeers bars and diet pepsi.]

But the one thing I dreaded... was the day she turned five. The time when she would be old enough to go to school. Her first birthday... I thought 4 more years... thats a long time right?? Wrong. I remember when she started preschool... I thought... I'll be sending her to Kindergarten in two years. That really felt like yesterday. Then all of a sudden... it got closer. I was trying so hard to stop time, to not think about it. But it came. I didnt let her know I was sad to see her go. I talked it up as much as I could. I wanted her to be excited. Even if I wasnt.

And so we walked out the door. Took some pictures on the stairs. I was doing really well. I didnt think I'd even cry. (Because... I hate crying. And I forgot my waterproof mascara and eyeliner. I ended up channeling my inner raccoon before I was done with the day.) When we got to the school... Aly was getting pretty excited.

first day

a

a

Then they made the kiddos line up outside the school. Aly got in her little line... she started to look a little scared. Before I knew it, the kiddos were marching into the school with their teacher. I watched her till she disappeared around the corner. Her over sized backpack on her tiny little frame. Then they came. They. The tears. But... there were people standing around. And I forgot my sunglasses. So I started to furiously blink. Go away, stupid tears.

Amy... stands in front of the doors... she said she was going to wait for Aly. I tried to tell her it would be three whole (long) hours until we could get her. And we walked home. Just us two. When only 20 minutes ago it was three. All the while, silent tears slipped down my cheeks.

a

the walk home

(amys shoes... going home...)
a

And we get to do this again tomorrow.

I do want Aly to be her own person, to grow, be independent... but I think that a part of me wants them to stay little. I still want her to need me. I want to scoop her up when she is hurt, or hug her in the middle of the night- after a bad dream. The hugs, kisses, the days when life is still full of imagination and wonder... I dont want it to end.

No matter how big you get... I'll always be your mommy. My dear Aly, I love you.

16 comments:

  1. Jen you are such a good mom! I think when I have kids I'll be counting down when they go to school so I can get back to work on my own stuff! ha ha! I'm sure I'll change though. Anyway, Aly looked adorable and you are so great! Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The first is always the toughest..but it DOES get easier.
    Just take it one day at a time, and enjoy your time with Amy for the next couple of years!
    Here's a couple of book suggestions to read (for yourself even though they are kid books) since you've got your inner raccoon going on:
    "I'll love you forever"
    "The kissing Hand"

    Both of those books...to this day make me cry EVERYTIME! But they are such sweet stories about this stage of life. (if you can't find them, I have copies)

    I think it is SO dang cute that Amy wanted to wait for her! Adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow... My kid is only 3 month old and I already wish she was in school... :O)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You don't like tears? Why did you post that then? JK I'm crying. You bring back all the sweet memories I have of Madison. Back when she was my sweet little girl. Not that she's not still little and sweet but now she talks like a big girl. And I cry everytime I yell at her for her grown-up attitude. Thanks for this post, Jen.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh how precious. I hope you are doing okay with her being in school. At least you still have one at home right?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was thinking about you all week and have been meaning to call, so this comment will have to do until I can call you. It looks like her first day was a success. You are awesome. You have done a great job raising your girls. I love your pictures especially the one with the shoes (shocker huh) Hope all is well and hopefully we can talk soon!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So sweet! I still have two years and I am freaking out already. It seems so scary to let them grow and not need you. Well sounds like you are doing ok. Good luck. Your girls are darling and their outfits adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great post! I'm glad both of you made it through the day like big girls, even though there were tears shed (and there should be!!!). You're doing such a great job with those girls. I can say that, even though I'm basically a total stranger. :) Good luck with the next few weeks - I'm thinking of you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ok, I'm sitting at my computer bawling my eyes out. You are such a sweet Mom!

    Now I must go find a way to stop the anxiety of imagining this day in my own life.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh Jen. I shouldn't have read this at work, I had to hold in the tears. What a sweet tribute to your little girl. I dread the day when my future children start school. You're such a great mom!

    ReplyDelete
  11. okay you totally made me cry!!! that last little paragraph is excatly how I feel! I just want them to stay little and innocent forever! She is such a cutie and Im sure she is going to do great in school! love, love, loved this post!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hugs to you.....I'm dreading my baby going to kindergarten next year. I've survived it three other times so I'll probably make it but it's a major life change! Don't blink...or you'll miss all of elementary school.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I can't believe Aly is old enough for Kindergarten! I hope you're all doing well!

    ReplyDelete
  14. sniff, sniff. geez, make me cry why don't you? Aly is a beautiful little girl.

    ReplyDelete
  15. That was written just perfect! You are completely amazing. I dread the thought of my baby getting bigger and bigger. I try to hold onto each moment, because I thought that they would never come. I am glad that I read that!

    Love you Jen!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Such a sweet post...such a hard time for a mom...and it's just the beginning of all those heart-wrenching milestones that tug at a mommy's heart! Hope she's loving school and that you are adjusting, too! :)

    ReplyDelete