Pages

Saturday, August 8, 2009

Adventures in canning chicken... and other random ramblings...

(this is a really random post... so proceed at your own risk!) :)

It all began when I saw the Macey's ad... Chicken on sale for $1.69. Now... $1.69 isnt a super deal... but considering that its currently $2.58 at Walmart... I decided to go for it. We bought 52 lbs... and canned it all. What a chore! Our canner will can 19 bottles at a time- and we did 3 batches. (and each batch takes about 4 hours from start to finish) Phew!

We have to pull our stove out- because the canner wont clear the top of the mircowave. Which... speaking of microwaves... we discovered the inner top of ours MELTED... and had a gaping hole. Seriously... ? (thanks to the hubs for putting our new one in!) We took the old one to the dump to be recycled... and WHEW! That was some stench! (did I not warn you about the random ramblings???)
a

The gauge...
a

My FAVORITE apron- this is why I love the Orla Kiely line at Target!
a

And last... a few of the kiddos having fun... we've been doing a lot of that lately too. :)
a

Amy's feet
a

Before bed... getting all the jumping, and wiggling out!
a

9 comments:

  1. oh i love random stuff! lol
    i love that last pic... so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey just wanted to let you know the pic of ali singing with the microphone..... The framed black and white pattern behind her.... exactly my kitchen wallpaper!!!!! wish you could see it. lol aaaaagggghhhhh we are sooooo conected mentally anyway :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. At the possibility of sounding very, very naive, I will say: I have never heard of canning chicken! Will you post a photo of the finished product? What do you do with canned chicken?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Amy's feet and the girls jumping before bedtime!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that last picture. I can't believe you canned 52 pounds of chicken!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I never thought about canning chicken before....What a great idea! Then you don't have to buy expensive cans from the store. How are you? I haven't seen you since last summer and now I'm moving in a week (Yikes). Did you get my blog invite? Love ya, Heather

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOVE LOVE LOVE the apron, I really need one. Target you say?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have never canned before! I really need to learn how.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So glad to know that you still are canning, have you tried beans yet? John mentioned that you guys had just bought more chicken and canned it. Us too, 42 jars and 18 lbs. cut up for the freezer. (I really need to invest in an additional plate so I can double the batch.)

    ReplyDelete