Pages

Friday, December 12, 2008

Christmas here...

I love Chirstmas time. Just love it. Growing up, it always felt magical. I couldnt pin point it to just one thing... and I dont believe it was just one thing. There were so many things that made Christmas magical.

I remember every Christmas Eve we would have dinner at my grandma's house and have her chicken and rice (though we called it chicken and rocks) and the rolls that have been charred from somehow igniting in the oven moments before they came out. (see where I inherit my cooking skills?) Then we would go downtown to the Methodist church my grandma attends and have a lovely candlelight ceremony. (I can say it was lovely now... celebrating the true meaning of Christmas, and focusing on the birth of our Savior) I remember sitting there in that beautiful church just wishing I could go home and open presents... and I suppose thats pretty normal for any ten year old.

{here are a few pictures I took a long time ago of my Grandma's church. The stained glass is breathtaking}
Church

{old radiator}
Church

{old chairs... and an old hymnal laying across one of the chairs}
Church

I remember my mom helping me make/assemble or shop for gifts every year, my dad leading us out to visit the elderly (though we did that all year round... one of my most favorite memories growing up...) choir concerts in high school and watching the Santa tracker on the evening news. (we now can track him on the internet...)

So... I want to make Christmas magical for my children. I dont want it to be about the presents (Christmas is grotesquely commercialized) but I want to it be about the Savior, giving to others, love and being together as a family.

Here's Christmas around our place...

Our tree... The girls hung the ornaments this year. Most are on the lower half of the tree and the lights have been pulled out of place. Love it.

tree

Some more small trees at the end of the hall...
more trees

A not so good picture of my vintage Santa poster my friend just gave me. Its going to make it to a piece of sheet metal soon with some ribbon and those rock magnets in white to place on the days...

vintage santa

Holiday baking + Amy= bad... I left the room for 2 seconds... I think she sampled just about every cookie...
Mims

And last (if you've made it through this insanely long post) is my 12 Days of Christmas tag garland. I got shipping tags, decorated them with scrapbook paper. Each day for 12 days there is a special activity. Something as simple as drinking hot chocolate together, getting a Christmas book together, or going to see the lights. I'll take a picture tomorrow when the light is a bit better so you can see them strung up in my house... for now... here are a few I grabbed as I was finishing them up. {but I didnt come up with the idea... i got it off jessica sprague's site}

tag

tag

tag

I hope you all have a wonderful holiday season!

11 comments:

  1. Those Methodist interior shots kept drawing me back for more looks. The place looks like the sort of church in which one can spend a little quality contemplative time.

    And the "Amy+Holiday Cooking" picture is hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the church shots. Reminds me of some churches I saw when I was in new york. Laughed SO hard when I saw the Amy+Cookies! Still can't stop laughing! I saw the JS class, but knew I wouldn't get around to it this year, so I'll do it for next!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh!! That cookie picture is hilarious!!! Your church shots are incredible too. I also love coming to your blog to see what creative craft you do next. Thanks for everything!

    Talia Ü

    ReplyDelete
  4. All of your Christmas stuff looks really good. Did you cut your hair? It looks super super cute! I love the red bow on your shirt. Fab. pictures as always.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like you are having a good holiday season! I laughed about the cookis! how cute is that!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Okay, once again you make me sick with all of your creativity! No really, I think you are amazing!!! Those church shot are incredible, I love them and I too keep scrolling back up to look again. I also LOVE that you didnt fix your christmas tee before taking a pic, I too love the fact that when you have little ones... the bottom of the tree is VERY imperfect!

    {my christmas wish isto one day be as creative as you!}

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are such a great photographer! Really! My sister is getting married On January 23rd and wanted me to ask you how much you would charge. That is if you could do it. If you wouldn't mind emailing me. amyjones194@yahoo.com.
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  8. The post is great the pics are great and I really have decided you are crazy. Those tags are awsome though. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love reading your posts. And seeing your pictures. Our tree is really quite sad. Like you, we have a little one who has a great time taking the ornaments off. It is a full time job just trying to keep the tree together! A job I gave up on last week.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jen,
    You have a special gift. Those pictures are breathtaking. Thanks for posting on our blog. I appreciate it. Love your blog.
    Sydne

    ReplyDelete