Sunday, March 2, 2014
Tender Mercies...
I love this scripture. I've been thinking a lot about the Lord's tender mercies. I've been thinking a lot about this because I've been the recipient of his tender mercies.
Changing the way our family eats has been overwhelming. Buying groceries is easily double the price of what I used to spend. It takes me about 5 times longer because I read every single label. I now buy strange flours and things like xanthan or guar gum. Most nights, I make two batches of dinner. The 'everything free' for me and Ava, and the regular stuff for the rest of the family. If we were only cutting gluten, that would be easy. Its the dairy and the soy (and the other random stuff) Soy is in everything - like chocolate. So we need to be really careful.
Then there are those moments that Ava isnt eating any of these 'new' foods. She doesnt like them. And she screams and cries that its not fair. Its hard. I cant even find a multivitamin that is free of all the things she is allergic to. I want to cry with Ava too some days.
But... during this change, we have been so very blessed. The morning after we got Ava's allergy panel back, there was a knock at our door. Our dear friends (who have almost the same allergies as Ava) brought by a cereal she could eat. Along with rice milk. That was huge. I felt so blessed. It warmed my heart all day long. (and still does!)
Then, another friend stopped by with a grocery bag full of gluten free goodies. She shared with me her favorite breads. This was huge... I know how expensive groceries are - and she shared them with us. She also gave us links to all her favorites. Because of her, I found a bread that is delicious! She has already been down this path and had such great advice for us.
My most favorite quote on the Lord's tender mercies is by Elder Bednar. It reads, "I testify that the tender mercies of the Lord are real and that they do not occur randomly or merely by coincidence."
I honestly believe that the Lord has his hand in my life. I see his tender mercies all around me. I feel so blessed to have such incredibly amazing and supportive friends. Those who care and show it. And while they dont know it, their examples and compassion make me want to be a better friend too. :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment