Pages

Friday, March 7, 2014

snickerdoodles

One thing I've really missed is baking. I love to bake. I've been really intimidated by all these strange flours. When we were in Grand Junction on Monday, I had the most delicious snickerdoodle cookie. I knew I had to find a recipe that tasted good. (We've bought a few GF cookies - like the Pamela's ones -  but they've all been dry and well... just not tasting very homemade.)

So, naturally I turned to Pinterest. I've made all sorts of things I've found on Pinterest. Some have been great, and others are complete 'Pinterest fails'. I decided that I would start some boards dedicated to all our new GF / DF everything free allergies. I found this snickerdoodle recipe from the donteatwheat blog. She nailed the snickerdoodle recipe!! They were just like the 'regular' ones I made.

I didnt have any Earth Balance butter, but I just subbed that for coconut oil. It worked out just fine. Im posting my go-to recipes so that I can easily find them for me. But check out her awesome blog - she has tons of recipes I cant wait to try!

Snickerdoodles From donteatwheat.com
(Gluten Free, Dairy Free)

Makes 27 cookies (from 1 & 1/4 inch balls)

Outside snickerdoodle coating (mix together and set aside):
  • 2 Tbsp sugar
  • 1 tsp ground cinnamon

Ingredients: 
  • 1 cup white rice flour
  • 5 Tbsp potato starch
  • 3 Tbsp tapioca starch
  • 3/4 tsp xanthan gum
  • 1/4 tsp sea salt
  • 1/4 tsp baking soda
  • 1/4 tsp cream of tarter
  • 3/4 cup sugar
  • 1/2 cup Earth Balance Butter (I used coconut oil)
  • 1 egg
  • 1/2 tsp gluten free vanilla extract

Directions:
  1. Preheat the oven to 375 degress F.  Line a cookie sheet with parchment or a silkmat. 
  2. Mix together in a medium size bowl the white rice flour, potato starch, tapioca starch, xanthan gum, sea salt, baking soda and cream of tarter.  Set aside. 
  3. Cream together the sugar and butter. Then beat in the egg and vanilla. Add the flour mixture until well combined. 
  4. Scoop the dough into 1 to 1 & 1/4 inch balls and roll in the cinnamon and sugar mixture until completely covered. Place onto the cookie sheet about 2 inches apart. 
  5. Bake 8-10 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool on the pan for 1 minute before placing onto a cooling rack. Store cookies in an airtight container. Taste great up to 3 days after baking.

No comments:

Post a Comment