Childbirth. It's simply amazing. For me, each of my children's births have been a sacred experience for me. Feelings that I cherish. These first few weeks- I want to soak up every single second. The late night feedings- when its just me and baby. The house is quiet. I can just snuggle her. I want to remember it all- the way she snuggles into my chest. Her tiny little body all curled up and her ear over my heart. The little bum and knees that poked my huge tummy only a few days ago, now seem so tiny. So delicate. I want to remember she sweet angelic face- that newborn face. such tiny features - the little fuzz on her ears, the teeny little eyebrows, the small hands as toes.
I take pictures. I want to document it all. Because I know, I won't remember what it was like. What it felt like. Time has a funny way of blurring those first few weeks.
I was scheduled for an induction. I opted for an induction since the hospital was an hour and a half away from home. We had to be to the hospital by 730 am, so we slept at my parents house the night before. That way the kids wouldn't have to wake up early to go to my parents.
The night before was so sweet and tender. I had such a great experience with Aly, Amy and Ava. Aly and Amy knew they wouldn't see me for a few days, and both were feeling sad. We were able to snuggle together and talk... It's times like these- these one on one moments- that make me truly see how unique, caring and wonderful these girls are. I snuggled Ava too. Knowing it was the last night she was going to be the baby. They were just special times. Bonding times. Moments where our hearts grew closer together.
Morning came. Aly woke up before we had to leave. She was so upset to say goodbye. Another moment when I realized just how much this little girl felt. Our drive over was quiet. We watched the sunrise. So many thoughts and emotions were going through my head. Mainly, gratitude. Gratitude to my Heavenly Father. I was overwhelmed just thinking about the blessings i have been given. I was so overwhelmed with the kindness and caring of family and friends. Texts, visits... So many people who showed they cared.
We arrived at the hospital. I was nervous. But I had the best nurse who not only was a great caregiver, but also just a sweet girl. It was fun to chat and get my mind off the labor. My pitocin was started and water broken. Daniel and I hung out through contractions. We watched Duck Dynasty (keeping the mood light!) and as labor progressed I just wanted things quiet. My phone was going off every few minutes - people wanting updates etc. I had him silence everything. The contractions stated to get intense. I debated on an epidural. Labor was progressing slowly. I finally did break down and get one. And in retrospect, I'm really glad. I still had 2 hours to go. The epidural took enough of the edge off.
Then came time to push. Gosh, even with that epidural, it was still intense. But I pushed through 3 contractions and baby Abby was here. It was an amazing feeling. They instantly put her up on my chest. And the bond... Nothing will ever describe those first few moments. Seeing her for the first time. My heart already loved her- but holding her- it made my heart burst even more. I just remember those sweet chubby cheeks, and that first warm snuggle. We stayed like that for a while. I loved every second.
The next few hours were a blur. She got her little bath, got cleaned up. And we snuggled some more. We nursed. And she caught on so well. She was so wide awake (until 4 am...). But I loved her gaze. I loved every chance to hold her.
We came home, and I think I checked on her a million times. The girls were so happy to meet her, and so excited to hold her. They even decorated our front bush with homemade paper roses to welcome Abby home.
So here we are. In the middle of getting 3 or 4 hours of sleep at best. Trying to keep it together at home. And knowing that these days will pass all too quickly.
These are the days I cherish. These are the days that are worth more to me than anything in the world. These are the best days ever.

Reading this brought tears to my eyes. I have always been excited to have babies of my own but the way you described your birth experience of sweet Abby makes me so excited for when it is my turn. Thanks for sharing Jen. xo
ReplyDeleteJen she is absolutely PERFECT!!! I just want to come love on her! Congratulations!
ReplyDeleteShe is so beautiful! I just love hearing childbirth stories. Every one is so special and unique. I'm glad to hear that things went well with little Abby. I'm so glad I read your post, because I tend to see the newborn stage as something to survive and I need to enjoy it more! It's a lot easier the second time around because I know how quickly this stage goes, but man that sleep deprivation is a killer for me! But I agree, this stage is so sweet and beautiful as well. Just think of the mischief Abby and Caroline would get in together! :)
ReplyDelete