Several years ago Daniel's co-worker's wife (still with me?!) taught us how to can chicken. I had no idea that chicken could be canned. All I had experience with was peaches. (And to this day, I still have not canned a good batch of peaches!) Anyway, we have been doing this for the past 6 years or so. (here's a post from 2009) It has been a great addition to our food storage, and it also is wonderful for chicken salad sandwiches, casseroles or other easy meals.
We got in on a good order from Zaycon Food. (its kind of like a co-op) The chicken was $1.89 a lb. We bought about 120 lbs. We are canning about 80 lbs of it. They'll have another chicken buy in October too.
This year some of my focus is on building a food storage. Just being a bit more self reliant. I remember growing up - my dad lost his job a few times. I know that because my parents prepared themselves, we were all able to weather the storm. I want to be able to prepare for my family in the same way too - whether it be something small (power outage for a few days) or a big catastrophe, I want to be prepared to take care of their needs.
For more on food storage check out this link.
Thursday, February 13, 2014
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment